Broke your arm? or your leg? Or anything else related to injury at work? When you are injured at work and you’re not able to do the job, then you might be able to file for workers’ compensation benefits. Every employer is required to provide a reasonably healthy and safe work environment. If this is not the case and you got injured, or, even when the environment is considered safe to work, you might be able to file a workers’ compensation claim.
However, not every injured employee needs to hire a work injury attorney. If you have a straightforward claim, you can probably hand it on your own – or between you and your employer. In some cases, you’ll need a lawyer to protect your rights.
When to hire a Work Injury Lawyer?
If there was an incident where the employer did all that was expected, but an injury still happened, it is wise to seek help from a professional injury lawyer. If this happened to you it is also best to hire an attorney if the employer’s actions prove to be unjust and uncooperative. So in case you are wondering if it is worth hiring a personal injury lawyer, the short answer is: yes! Injury lawyers know everything about personal injury law, all stages of the court process and often have trial experience.
What does an Injury Lawyer do?
In case of an injury, it is important to seek the right help. A work injury lawyer can help you to get compensated and does even more:
- They give experienced advice on different cases
- They protect your rights as an employee
- They protect you against unlawful actions that your boss might take
- They negotiate better settlement offer
- You get more peace of mind – since you have more time to focus on getting better and living a normal life
Your lawyer will be able to tell you how good your prospects are, how much your case is worth financially, and whether or not you should pursue it. This could be one of the most crucial things you can ask an experienced attorney, and it could save you a lot of time and money.
There are multiple factors that go into how much an employee gets in a workers compensation settlement. What is certain, however, is the way you can receive money. In a lump-sum settlement, the employee signs a settlement agreement that ends the lawsuit and receives a one-time payment from the employer or the insurance company in exchange. Under a structured settlement agreement, the employee will receive payments over a predetermined length of time.
In general, the compensation will be calculated by adding multiple factors together. These metrics include: general damages (awarded for pain and loss of amenity) and special damages (awarded for costs you have incurred).
Most Important Steps
As said before, employers are responsible for providing a safe work environment. What is essential for all workplaces are safety regulation plans. If your employer lacks these regulations, the chances are greater that you have the right for compensation. In any case it is important to follow the next steps, otherwise your claim will probably be dismissed.
If you are in the unfortunate situation of an accident at work, make sure to follow the following steps, in order to protect your legal rights:
- Accident report: there is often a short period of time in which you must report the accident. Make sure to report any accident that you are involved in on the job (even if you’re in doubt that you are injured).
- Visit your doctor: after the accident at work, make sure to see a doctor as soon as possible. If you are not seriously injured, ask your employer to choose a doctor for you. In case you’re not happy with this, there is always the possibility of taking a second opinion.
- See a Workers Compensation Lawyer: this is the obvious one – but it can save you a lot of time, mistakes and headaches.
In conclusion – we hope it is not necessary for you to see a workers compensation lawyer in the future. But if you are in the unfortunate situation of an injury at work, make sure to follow the right steps and try to talk with your employer. In the end, your employer is responsible for a safe working environment.